Sunday, September 26, 2010

Birthday Week

There are two things in Korea that I hate but cannot seem to avoid...Kimchi and mosquitoes. As I sit at my desk in school writing this, I am waging war with a single mosquito that seems to have an appetite similar to that of the Klump family.


Anyway I just wanted to mention that this week was THE birthday week in Busan. 5 birthdays in just 6 days. On Tuesday, I hit the ripe old age of 23 and to celebrate ate a chicken that had a beer can placed up its rear entrance.



Wednesday was Jemma's birthday and a few of us went to Fuzzy Navel down Seomyeon. Flash's birthday fell on the Thursday so we went to Jagalchi fish market. A big warehouse with stall after stall of crates of water, each bustling with a variety of sea life. 



After much bargaining we managed to buy a flat fish, a very big fish, some sea urchin, a sea worm that looks like a willy and octopus tentacles. The fishmonger killed the fish we had bought in front of us like it was the most natural thing in the world and very second nature to him, then everything was taken to a restaurant above the market, where for a small fee they cooked all of the food for us. The oddest thing was the octopus tentacles, which had moments ago been cut from a live octopus and so were still wriggling as the nerves weren't dead. Reading my Korean guidebook, apparently this is a delicacy and every year a handful of people die because the tentacles stick to the happy eater's throat!  In fear of this it took me a long time to put a tentacle into my mouth and when I finally did, the thing attached itself to my tongue! Luckily it came of very easily and after 5 minutes of chewing the thing I plucked up the courage and swallowed without any fatal consequences.



Friday was Matt's birthday. Many naughty tales were told in Thursday party at Gwanganli beach over a game of I have never before a trip to Kino Eye in Kyungsung University where the rest becomes a bit of a blur. Some things I do remember is meeting two Scottish lads wearing skirts, Curly Vicky being absolutely fascinated my an automatic door, and the hardcore of us moving on the the Ghetto club. Unfortunately for party hardy Kev age showed and I hit a wall wheras everyone else went to a Karaoke room. 

Next week it's Chuseok (추석), which means a week off work! I will be travelling round with Ruth for a week and will post about it next week :D



No comments:

Post a Comment