Tuesday, September 7, 2010

I have been in South Korea now for two weeks and during that time I have tried to keep a diary. However, I've found writing everyday both impossible and boring and so have decided to write a blog during the 3-4 hours free time I have after lessons everyday.

I'm not sure what I should be writing about so I'm just going to write about what has happened so far. I arrived in Korea on Wednesday 18th at Incheon airport, just outside of Seoul. When I arrived, EPIK, the agency who got me a job out here, had buses waiting for us to take us to Jeonju City, the site of the week long orientation we were about to embark on. 

When we arrived at Jeonju University, we were placed in our rooms with a room mate. I opted to be placed with James, and American dude I had met on the bus. James had studied Korean for two years and lived in Seoul for 7 months so his command of the language was top draw. We instantly went out looking for booze. We went to a 7 eleven. Our version of a small Tesco Express or what the Americans would call a convenience store. Outside this 7 Eleven were 3 picnic benches. It was like sitting in a pub garden. Every time we needed another drink we would go inside, get a can from the fridge, pay for it then set at a picnic bench outside. A few more Americans joined us, and it was at this point that I was introduced to Soju. 50p a bottle, about the size of a small coke bottle. It tastes like a weak version of Vodka which is why it's so deadly, you think you can drink more of it and you get hammered. 

That night was just a sign of things to come. I spent 7 of the next 8 nights out drinking and only spent about 50 quid. One night I ended up on the roof of our dormitories till about 4am will Donny the Irish guy and Callum from New Zealand


On Sunday, we went to Hanok village, a traditional folk village just outside of Jeonju. Well they told us it was a traditional folk village, but you can see from the second you arrive that it is set up for tourists. It was fun though. We made traditional fans


ate Bibimbap


and visited a Buddhist temple






We were given the choice of studying Korean or Taekwondo. Me, Shaun and Andre chose the latter. The lessons were given by a Korean guy who was also an instructor for the Korean national team! A small pleasant looking dude, but you knew he could snap you with his nose hair. One time we were lined up in front of him and he was talking. A dragonfly had flew in through the open window and was hovering in front of him. He stops talking and looks at the dragonfly. I know what you're thinking, Mr Miagi, I was too. But no, instead he screams, and does a back flip...then continues talking! Anyhoo, for our second lesson we were given a Taekwon Do uniform (whatever it's called) and a black belt and told we would be performing at the farewell ceremony.

Our week in Jeonju went by far to quickly and before we knew it we were off to our schools and our given cities around the country. I've been sent to Busan, the second largest city and home of seafood, watersports and beaches :D When I first got here my co-teacher and her husband picked me up in their car. "Hello Mr. Kevin, what food you like?".To try to impress them I said Duck Bulgogi, so they took me to eat Duck Bulgogi. Duck meat and some vegetables cooking in a spicy sauce on a cooker on your table. We were given leaves, which the owner grew herself in the HUGE allotment in front of the restaurant. You wrap the meat and vegetables in these leaves and stuff them all in your mouth, delicious.

Next day i had my first lessons at Yongsan Elementary school. It's a great school, very modern and the English department is bigger than any other department in the school. I'm the only native speaking English teacher. The Korean English teachers here are brilliant, as I'm typing this one has just brought me a rice cake and yesterday she brought me pizza. 

The kids are crazy but respectful. There are no cleaners at the school, the kids do all the cleaning, even the toilets. They seem fascinated by my height and nose! "Mr. Kevin you have high nose."

Busan is a great place, very built up but has lovely beaches. My apartment is a minute walk from Gwangali beach. From the beach you can see the diamond bridge and at night the bridge is light up in a spectrum of colours. 

Last weekend we went to a football match. Busan Transportation cooperation vs Mokpo FC. Division 2 of Korean football, one of the worst games I've ever seen but we were allowed to take our own food and drink into the stadium so it was a great crack. The next day we went to a small festival. There were 2 guys on stage playing guitar and drums for about 2 hours,it was very boring. Then it got a bit later and Korean DJ came on and played a techno remix of Paradise City. All mayhem ensued. All of a sudden there was a small crowd in front of the stage. Beach balls were flying across this small crowd. And most strange of all, there were Korean kids running through the crowd with water pistols and bottles and whatever they could get their hands on to soak the foreigners with. It was one of those classic, random Asian moments that makes you want to come back to this part of the world.

I know this has been the longest blog post in the world but it was long overdue so I had a lot to write about. Thanks for reading folks.


No comments:

Post a Comment