Friday, March 4, 2011

Boss New Lesson: The Balloon Monster

I've decided to try and make my lessons a bit more exciting this year. Today I had grade 4 for the first time this new school year. They still seem like little 3rd graders to me.

For the first 20 minutes my co teacher banged on in Korean about the rules of the classroom and all that boring stuff. And for some reason she said 미국사람(American person) and 중국사람(Chinese person) a lot. I'm sure she doesn't think I'm Chinese-American!

Anyway the last 20 minutes of the lesson was mine. I brought in about 300 balloons and gave one to each student, then laughed my backside off as they tried with all their might to blow them up. They just didn't have the lung power and their faces turned as red as the Kimchi they'd had for breakfast.

So for the first lesson, I went round blowing everyones balloon up for them. Then my co-teacher went down to the science labs and brought back 15 balloon pumps...why the hell do we have 15 balloon pumps!? How often does this happen.

So the second lesson was much more of a success. The kids used their pumps to blow up their balloons, then me and my co-teacher went round and tied the balloons for them 'cos their little fingers weren't strong enough.

We gave them all a board marker and they drew a face on the balloon and wrote their names too.



Now for the fun part: one-by-one we went round the classroom saying the alphabet. The first student said "a". The second "b", third "c" and so on...

All the time, the evil Dr. Dunn(me), was waiting for one of them to slip up and make a mistake. You see, Dr. Dunn HATES balloons and particularly HATES 4th graders having fun. So when little Ji Sung gets a letter of the alphabet wrong, Dr. Dunn darts across the classroom with his special balloon bursting wand(a pen!), to were Ji Sung is sat, and BANG! ...it's all over for Ji Sung's balloon!



The kids loved this game and went mental, most of them wanting to become Dr. Dunn's apprentice and wield a special balloon bursting wand.

At the end of the lesson, I asked a question to the kids who still had a balloon, "What is the capital city of America?" Surprisingly few kids knew this, usually only one or two per class, and gave the winner a Snickers.

No comments:

Post a Comment