Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Exercise Festival

Couple of weeks ago my school held an "exercise festival." The teachers and parents from each grade would be competing against eachother. I was in Grade 2's team. Why? God knows! I don't even teach grade 2.

Obviously, I knew bugger all about what was going on come the day. After lunch, I was told to go to the gym and follow one of the 2nd grade teachers around.

I got there a few minutes late, and all the teachers and parents were lined up in their grades, facing the stage where a guy in a suit was talking.

Then we all split up. In each corner of the gym, a volleyball net and court had been set up for a small volleyball tournament. I wasn't allowed to play in the tournament for some reason. Instead, I was told to sit on the sidelines and cheer for Grade 2 with all the mums. They gave us plastic bags to put on our heads, and pom-poms to cheer with. They were really going at it.



In true Korean fashion, the mums had prepared rice cakes, cherry tomatoes and cans of coffee for us to have while we watched the volleyball.



After the volleyball tournament, it was mine time to shine. We went outside for a relay race around the little makeshift dirt track our school has. There were 6 teachers and parents in each grade's team. I was the last runner for my team, along with all the P.E. teachers.



It was honestly the most hardcore race I've ever witnessed. On several occasions, as the runners were coming around a bend, one fell, and all the other runners, most of them mothers, just trampelled over them! It was like there was a 50% sale on Kimchi.

Following the race, we went back into the gym. A hundred or so chairs had been set out all facing the stage. On the stage, a big screen and a karaoke machine had been set up. It was Noraebang time!

Everyone was well into it. The lights were turned off, people dressed up, and all the mother's brought marigolds so that they could clap louder.









One even dressed as a Minstrel! I shit you not! She had her face painted black, her lips painted white, and a big white wig on her bonce!


Unfortunately you can't really see her face. She's the one at the front giving it beans. I assure you, her face is painted black!

My school is insane!

Kevla

No comments:

Post a Comment